what I need in a digital workspace
I want somewhere to be My Workspace™, and I want that somewhere to have what I consider critical capabilities for me:
- Bidirectional links
- Block references
- Fast search
- Fast sync
- Seamless mobile experience
- Private, Secure, Offline
- Daily Notes *
- Unlinked references *
- Easy export
- Easy “processing notes” workflow
- Easy selection and rearrangement of blocks
* Asterisk represents the capabilities Craft does not have. See below for more detail.
Nice to haves
- Collaborative features: comments, easy sharing, multiplayer
- Tags *
- Pretty interface and delightful UX
To meet the needs above I rely on my digital ecosystem, with most of my work being handled by a few specialized tools:
- Craft is my workspace
- Things is for getting shit done
- Drafts is for immediate note capture
- Obsidian is for building my body of work and tending this digital garden
It’s been a fascinating evolution of the ecosystem and I’ve learned so much about new tools, including how Tools for managing information overload and improving how we think are on the rise.
I do believe A knowledge worker’s toolkit needs to be well-rounded, but tools can also be distracting so it’s a fine line to tow. Hopefully I can settle in to my new system and really build a body of work.
I made this site to learn through discourse. Your thoughts here👇 or on Twitter are encouraged!